‘Vari’ or ‘Varyache tandul’ is also called ‘Bhagar’ .Traditionally It is served with ‘shengdana amti’ (Roasted peanuts powder curry).
I make this ‘varicha bhat’ often for breakfast but I usually enjoy it without ‘shengdana amti’. In that case I always add green chillies and some roasted peanuts powder into this preparation. But if you are serving this with ‘shengdana amti’, then keep it plain. I will be posting the recipe of ‘shengdana amti’ soon.
This recipe serves 2-3
- Varyache Tandul (Samo seeds) – 1 cup
- Ghee (Clarified butter) – 1 and ½ tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Green chillies – 4 (cut into medium sized pieces)
- Roasted peanuts powder – 2 tbsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Hot water – 3 cups
- Some chopped cilantro (Optional)
How to make varicha bhat?
- First add some cold water into samo seeds and mix well. Now drain all the water and set it aside.
- Heat ghee in a kadai. Add in cumin seeds and green chillies. Saute for few seconds.
- Then add variche tandul (samo seeds) and mix well. Let it roast on medium heat for a minute. Keep stirring continuously to avoid burning at bottom.
- Add hot water and salt to taste. Cover and cook on medium heat.
- Once it is 3/4th cooked, add roasted peanuts powder, sugar and cilantro.
- Again cook covered on low heat for about 2-3 minutes until it is fully cooked.
- Serve hot.
If you want to have this bhagar with ‘shengdana amti’ then make a plain version without adding green chillies and roasted peanuts powder. Try this recipe at your home and let me know how you liked it.