Varicha bhat / Varyache Tandul (Samo seeds) / Bhagar Recipe with step by step pictures
Posted on March 29th, 2013
‘Vari’ or ‘Varyache tandul’ is also called ‘Bhagar’ .Traditionally It is served with ‘shengdana amti’ (Roasted peanuts powder curry).
I make this ‘varicha bhat’ often for breakfast but I usually enjoy it without ‘shengdana amti’. In that case I always add green chillies and some roasted peanuts powder into this preparation. But if you are serving this with ‘shengdana amti’, then keep it plain. I will be posting the recipe of ‘shengdana amti’ soon.
This recipe serves 2-3
- Varyache Tandul (Samo seeds) – 1 cup
- Ghee (Clarified butter) – 1 and ½ tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Green chillies – 4 (cut into medium sized pieces)
- Roasted peanuts powder – 2 tbsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Hot water – 3 cups
- Some chopped cilantro (Optional)
How to make varicha bhat?
- First add some cold water into samo seeds and mix well. Now drain all the water and set it aside.
- Heat ghee in a kadai. Add in cumin seeds and green chillies. Saute for few seconds.
- Then add variche tandul (samo seeds) and mix well. Let it roast on medium heat for a minute. Keep stirring continuously to avoid burning at bottom.
- Add hot water and salt to taste. Cover and cook on medium heat.
- Once it is 3/4th cooked, add roasted peanuts powder, sugar and cilantro.
- Again cook covered on low heat for about 2-3 minutes until it is fully cooked.
- Serve hot.
If you want to have this bhagar with ‘shengdana amti’ then make a plain version without adding green chillies and roasted peanuts powder. Try this recipe at your home and let me know how you liked it.