- Toor dal / Tuvar dal – ½ cup
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Pinch of asafoetida
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves
- 6-7 cloves of garlic (roughly chopped)
- Some fresh coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
*You may add 1-2 green chillies and little bit of jaggery if you like, I didn’t add in this recipe.
Watch How to make Varan on YouTube;
Varan recipe with step-wise pictures
- First wash tuvar dal under cold running water.
- Put it into a cooker pot and add around 2 cups of water. Add salt and ½ tsp of turmeric powder and pinch of asafoetida.
- Pressure cook until 3-4 whistles. Wait until pressure releases by itself.
- Mash the cooked dal.
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a saucepan.
- Once oil is heated, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves and garlic and sauté till garlic turns light brown.
- Then add mashed dal.
- Add some water and adjust the consistency.
- Add fresh coriander leaves and bring it boil.
- Once dal comes to nice boil, reduce the heat and allow it to simmer for next 5 minutes.
- Switch off the heat and varan is ready to be served.
- Serve it hot with plain boiled rice with some sajuk tup or clarified butter and little lemon juice.