Rava uppit or upma or uppittu is very popular breakfast in India. Here is the simple recipe of rava uppit that I grew up eating. Sometime my mom adds buttermilk instead of water; adding buttermilk makes uppit even more delicious and soft.
Serves – 3
- Rava / Semolina – 1 cup
- Onion – 1 (finely chopped)
- Tomato – ½ (finely chopped)
- Fresh green peas – ¼ cup
- Green chillies – 4 (cut into medium sized pieces)
- Curry leaves – 3 strands
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Some cilantro (finely chopped)
- Lemon – ½ and some lemon wedges while serving
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Sajuk tup / Homemade clarified butter – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Hot water – 2 and ½ cups
- Nylon sev (for garnishing)
How to make Rava Uppit or Upma?
- Warm up sajuk tup / clarified butter and roast rava until it turns slight brown. Roast it on a low heat, otherwise it may burn quickly.
- Take out roasted rava aside and in the same wok, add oil. Once heated, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, green chillies and curry leaves. Let them crackle.
- Add in chopped onion and sauté till translucent.
- Then add fresh green peas, chopped tomato and salt to taste. Mix well and cook for 2 minutes until peas turn soft.
- Squeeze ½ of a lemon and add hot water. Bring it to boil.
- Now add roasted rava little at a time and keep stirring continuously. The mixture will thicken as you are add rava in it, it soaks all the water.
- Now reduce the heat to low and cook covered for 2-3 minutes. Keep mixing in between.
- Finally add chopped cilantro and it’s ready to serve.
- Garnish with some nylon sev and serve hot with a cup of hot ginger tea.