Serves – 3
For dates and tamarind chutney
- ¼ cup seedless dried tamarind
- 6-8 seedless dates
- ¼ cup jaggery
- ½ tsp of roasted cumin seeds
- Water as needed
- ¾ tsp of red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- Green chillies – 2-3
- Mint leaves – 15-20
- Store bought pani puri masala – 2 tsp
- Little salt
- ½ litre water
- Store bought puris – 45-50
- Boiled and mashed potato (with little red chilli powder)
- Kala chana / black chickpeas (pressure cooked with little salt)
- Nylon sev – 1 cup
- 2 onions (finely chopped)
- Handful of fresh coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- Tamarind and dates chutney and ‘pani’
Watch how to make pani puri on YouTube;
Pani puri recipe with step-wise pictures
To make Dates and tamarind chutney
- In a mortar and pestle, grind roasted cumin seeds to a coarse powder.
- In a bowl, mix the tamarind and jaggery with warm water.
- Press the jaggery with spoon, so that it dissolves in tamarind pulp.
- Strain this tamarind and jaggery extract into seedless dates.
- Add red chilli powder, salt and freshly ground cumin powder.
- Grind them to a smooth paste.
- Add water and adjust the consistency. Keep the consistency medium thick.
To make ‘Pani’
- Grind green chillies and mint leaves with little bit of salt.
- Add green chillies and mint paste into the water.
- Add pani puri masala and little salt.
- Stir and pani is ready.
Assembling the pani puri
- Chop the onion and fresh coriander leaves.
- Crack the top of the puri with your thumb.
- Add the boiled potato filling.
- Then add some cooked kala chana and some onion.
- Pour dates and tamarind chutney.
- Then fill puris with pani.
- Sprickle fresh coriander leaves and top them with sev.
- Serve it immediately.