Khichdi is very popular comfort food in India and it is combination of rice and lentils. Today I am sharing Maharashtrian version of ‘moong dal khichdi’ or ‘mugachi khichdi’. The unique ingredient of this recipe is ‘goda masala’ which is extremely flavorful and aromatic blend of spices together. Since it is black in color, some people also call it ‘kala masala’. We Maharashtrian use this masala in several curry and rice dishes. Khichdi is so easy to make and gets ready in no time. Since it is mild and easy to digest, it is good to have a bowl of hot khichdi when you are sick.
Consistency of khichdi depends on your liking. If you prefer extra mushy, then add more water than mentioned below.
- Rice – 1 cup
- Moong dal – ¾ cup
- Green chillies – 3-4 (Cut into medium sized pieces)
- Cloves of garlic – 6-7
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Goda Masala – 1 tbsp
- Jaggery – 1 and ½ tbsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Asafoetida – ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Ghee/ clarified butter – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
How to make Moong Dal Khichdi?
- First wash moong dal and rice together. Soak for 15-20 minutes and then drain out the water. Meanwhile grind ginger and garlic coarsely in a mortar and pestle.
- Heat up oil in a pressure cooker. Add in cumin seeds, green chillies, ginger and garlic. Sauté till raw smell from ginger-garlic goes away.
- Add rice, moong dal, turmeric powder, goda masala, asafoetida, jaggery and salt to taste. Add 4 and ½ cups of hot water and mix well. Put on the lid and cook khichdi until 4-5 whistles.
- Once the pressure goes away, khichdi is ready to serve.
- Top it with dollop of ghee/clarified butter and serve hot with some pickle, papad and plain yogurt.