I got so many emails from my readers to post authentic chicken rassa and sukhe chicken recipe and as promised I am sharing this most requested recipe of all time. I’ve also uploaded video on YouTube, please go through video tutorial and feel free to leave your feedback. I would love to hear from you.
Serves – 4-5
- Chicken – 1 kg (Wash thoroughly under cold running water. In this recipe, we’ve used ¾ quantity of the chicken to make chicken gravy and rest of the chicken put into rassa / curry)
To make chicken rassa
- Chicken stock (Leftover water form cooked chicken)
- Kanda lasun masala – 4 tsp (I’ve already posted recipe of kanda lasun masala on my website, check out here – http://maharashtrian-recipes-online.com/kolhapuri-kanda-lasun-masala-kanda-lasun-chutney-lal-tikhat-recipe/ )
- Masala paste – 3 tsp
- Onion – ½ (finely chopped)
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
To make sukhe chicken/gravy
- Onions – 4 (sliced)
- Kanda lasun masala – 5 tsp
- Remaining Masala paste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
To make masala paste
- Onions – 2
- Dry coconut – ½ cup
- Sesame seeds – 1 and ½ tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 and ½ tbsp
- Cloves of garlic – 12-15
- Ginger – 1.5 inch piece
- Fresh coriander leaves – ½ cup
How to make tambda rassa / kombdi rassa?
Watch video on YouTube;
- In the chicken pieces, add turmeric powder and salt to taste.
- Heat around 2 tbsp of oil in a big vessel. Add and fry until golden brown.
- Add chicken pieces and mix well. Cover and cook on a medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Once chicken changes its color and cooks little bit, add approx 1 litre of hot water and cook covered until chicken is almost done. Meanwhile get ready with masala paste.
- Fire roast onions and peel off them. You may slice the onions and fry them in oil until brown and then use them in masala otherwise use as it is. It works fine.
- Dry roast cumin seeds until nice aroma come out. Then add sesame seeds and roast them until they start to pop up. Take them out.
- Then dry roast coconut until light brown.
- Now put all roasted ingredients in a mixer grinder pot and grind them to a coarse powder. Then add garlic, ginger, roasted onions and coriander leaves. Grind everything together to a fine paste by adding little water.
- Now masala paste is ready, keep it aside.
- Take out ¾ quantity of a cooked chicken to make gravy and leave rest of the pieces in stock itself.
- Add some more hot water to adjust the consistency of a rassa.
- Put 4 tsp full of kanda lasun masala and 3 tsp of masala paste and add little salt (as kansa lasun masala also contains salt, be careful while adding salt). Mix it well and bring curry to boil.
- Once curry comes to boil, reduce the heat and allow it simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- When you see oil (kat) is floating on a top, your tambda rassa is done.
How to make Sukhe Chicken?
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a kadai. Once oil is hot enough, add sliced onions and sauté them until golden brown.
- Reduce the heat and add masala paste and mix. Then add 5 tsp full of kanda lasun masala and mix it really well. Add 2 cups of hot water and mix it really well.
- Then add chicken pieces and cook covered on medium heat for 5-6 minutes.
- Then simmer on low heat for about 5 minutes and it is done.
- Serve Tambda rassa and sukhe chicken with jwarichi bhakri, chapati or tandalache vade.
- We served them with Tandalache vade.
- You can check out recipe of kombdi vade here- http://maharashtrian-recipes-online.com/kombdi-vade-malvani-vade-tandalache-vade-maharashtrian-recipe/
- For Jwarichi bhakri recipe, visit –http://maharashtrian-recipes-online.com/jwarichi-bhakri-jowar-ki-roti-sorghum-flatbread/
- Please Like us on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/MaharashtrianRecipesOnline
- Subscribe to YouTube Channel – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpO-6n4epEnK-UVG-KLRSqA