Serves – 5-6
- Mutton – 1 kg (Cut into medium sized pieces)
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Onions – 1 (for mutton rassa) + 4 (to make onion paste)
- Kanda lasun masala / lal tikhat – 1 ladleful or 4 tbsp approx each (for rassa and sukhe mutton)
- Oil – 3 tbsp for rassa + 4 tbsp of sukhe mutton
- Salt to taste
To dry roast and grind (Masala paste)
- Dry grated coconut – 2 cups
- Handful of fresh coriander leaves
- Garlic – 15-20 cloves
- Ginger – 1.5 inch piece
- Onions – 4 (cut into cubes)
- Sesame seeds – 4 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 3 tbsp
- Poppy seeds – 1 and ½ tbsp
- Cinnamon sticks – 3-4
- Black peppercorns – 6-8
- Cloves – 3-4
Watch how to make Kolhapuri Tambda rassa and sukhe mutton on YouTube;
How to make kolhapuri tambda rassa or mutton rassa?
- Add 1 tsp of turmeric powder into the 1 kg of mutton and chop 1 small sized onion.
- Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a big vessel. Add 1 chopped onion and sauté till translucent.
- Add mutton with turmeric in it.
- Add salt to taste.
- Mix well and cook covered on a medium heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Grind ginger and garlic together to a coarse paste.
- After 15 minutes of cooking, add ginger and garlic paste.
- Mix well and cook covered again for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile bring approximately 3 litres of water to boil.
- Add around 2 litres of hot water.
- Cook covered on medium-high heat until mutton is tender, stirring occasionally. (It may take 1 hour approximately)
- To make masala paste, dry roast cumin seeds on a low heat until fragrant.
- Then add sesame seeds and poppy seeds. Roast until sesame seeds changes their color to light brown.
- Then add whole spices and roast for few seconds.
- Take it out in a dish.
- In the same kadai, add onions and dry roast until golden brown, stirring occasionally. It may take 20-25 minutes.
- Once the onions turn golden brown, add 1 tbsp of oil in it and mix well.
- Fry for 4-5 more minutes until onions get nice dark brown color.
- Dry roast coconut on low heat until it changes its color to light bown.
- Grind roasted sesame seeds, poppy seeds, cumin seeds and whole spices to a coarse powder.
- Add little water and make a paste.
- Then add roasted coconut and little water.
- Make a smooth paste out of it.
- Add fresh coriander leaves as well.
- Now the masala paste is ready, keep it aside.
- Then add roasted onions.
- Grind them to a smooth paste by adding little water.
- After one hour, mutton is 90% cooked.
- Add little more hot water to adjust the consistency.
- Take out around ¾ quantities of mutton pieces to make sukhe chicken and keep rest of the pieces in a stock itself. Also take out a cup of mutton stock to use later.
- Add more hot water if required.
- Add 1 ladleful of kanda lasun masala.
- Then add ¼ of masala paste. Add very little salt as kanda lasun masala also contains salt.
- Reduce the heat and allow curry to simmer for 30-40 minutes until oil / ‘kat’ floats on top.
- After 40 minutes of simmering, rassa will get bright red color ‘tambda’ and oil / ‘kat’ will float on top.
How to make Sukhe Mutton?
- Heat 4 tbsp of oil in a kadai.
- Add roasted onion’s paste and fry for couple of minutes, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat and add remaining masala paste. Stir it constantly for 1-2 minutes.
- Add 1 ladleful of kanda lasun masala and mix well.
- Cook for couple of minutes, stirring constantly.
- Put mutton stock and bring it to boil.
- Then add cooked mutton pieces and mix well.
- Add more water if required.
- Add little salt (*as salt was added while cooking mutton and kanda lasun masala also contains salt).
- Cover and Simmer gravy for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Adjust the consistency by adding more water as per your requirement.
- After 25-30 minutes on simmering, switch off the heat.
- ‘Tambda rassa’ and ‘sukhe mutton’ are ready to be served.
- Serve with ‘bhakari’, ‘chapati’ and rice.
Jwarichi Bhakri recipe – http://maharashtrian-recipes-online.com/jwarichi-bhakri-jowar-ki-roti-sorghum-flatbread/
Kanda lasun masala / chutney recipe – http://maharashtrian-recipes-online.com/kolhapuri-kanda-lasun-masala-kanda-lasun-chutney-lal-tikhat-recipe/
You may also like – Chicken Rassa & sukhe chicken recipe – http://maharashtrian-recipes-online.com/kombdi-rassa-tambda-rassa-chicken-rassa-and-sukhe-chicken/
Kombdi Vade recipe – http://maharashtrian-recipes-online.com/kombdi-vade-malvani-vade-tandalache-vade-maharashtrian-recipe/