Kande Pohe is a very popular and extremely delicious Maharashtrian breakfast or anytime snack. It is my absolute favorite. I have grown up eating this poha and I can eat it almost every day. I like it even more when it is made by my mom. So, today I am sharing my mom’s recipe and I am sure you will love it.
For video instruction, check out this video on YouTube and feel free to leave your comments or suggestions.
Servings – 4
- Thick poha (beaten rice) – 2 and ½ cups
- Onions – 4
- Green chillies – 5-6
- Cilantro – ½ cup (finely chopped)
- Fresh coconut – ½ cup (scrapped)
- Lemon – 1
- Some raw peanuts
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 2 strands
- Asafoetida – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
How to make Kande Pohe ?
- Wash poha (beaten rice) couple of times under cold running water.
- Drain out all the water and let it rest for 10 minutes. Till the time get ready with all chopping stuff.
- Chop onion, green chillies and cilantro.Cut lemon into halves and scrape fresh coconut.
- Heat around 2 tbsp of oil in a kadai.
- Once oil is hot enough, add 1 tsp of mustard seeds and 1 tsp of cumin seeds.Let them splutter nicely.
- Add curry leaves and peanuts and fry them until they turn light brown.
- Add onion and sauté till translucent.
- Add 1 tsp of turmeric powder and ½ tsp of asafoetida.
- Now start adding little soaked poha at a time and keep mixing.
- Keep the heat low to avoid sticking of poha at bottom of kadai.
- Add salt to taste and mix.
- Add sugar and squeeze fresh lemon juice. Mix everything together and cook covered for 3-4 minutes until it gets nice steam.
- Finally add some fresh coconut and cilantro.
- Serve this delicious kanda poha by garnishing it with some fresh coconut, cilantro and sev. Serve it hot with cup of a ginger tea.