- Black chickpeas – 1 cup (Soaked overnight)
- Onion (big sized) – 1 (sliced)
- Cloves of garlic – 3-4 (sliced)
- Desiccated coconut – 2 tbsp
- Kanda lasun chutney – 3 tsp
- Tamarind pulp – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Asafoetida – ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Bay leaves – 2
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
How to make Kala chana curry?
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a pan.
- Once oil is heated, add sliced onion and sauté till light brown.
- Then add coconut and mix well.
- Switch off the heat and allow this mixture to cool down.
- Then add into a mixer grinder along with 2-3 tbsp of chana and ½ cup of water.
- Grind everything together to a coarse paste.
- Add remaining tbsp of oil in a saucepan.
- Once oil is heated, add cumin seeds, asafoetida and bay leaves.
- Add ground paste, kanda lasun masala, turmeric powder and salt to taste.
- Mix well and cook on low heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly. Make sure that masala doesn’t burn at the bottom.
- Add soaked chana, 2-3 cups of water and tamarind pulp. Bring curry to boil on medium heat.
- Once curry comes to boil, reduce the heat to low and cook covered. Allow curry to simmer for 25-30 minutes until chickpeas are tender.
- Switch off the heat and garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve hot with plain boiled rice.