Serves – 7-8
- Rice – ½ kg (4 cups approx)
- Cumin seeds – 1 and 1/2 tbsp
- Ginger – 1.5 inch piece
- Garlic – 10-12 cloves
- Some fresh coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- ‘Sajuk Tup’ / clarified butter – 2 tbsp
- Water – 6 cups
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Salt to taste
Watch how to make jeera rice on YouTube;
Jeera rice recipe with step-wise pictures
- Bring 6 cups of water to boil in a vessel.
- In a mortar and pestle, grind ginger and garlic together to a coarse paste.
- Heat up oil in a pressure cooker.
- Add cumin seeds and allow them to splutter.
- Add ginger and garlic paste and sauté until raw smell from them goes away.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and fry them for few seconds.
- Add washed rice and mix well.
- Add salt to taste.
- Mix well and close the lid.
- Pressure cook until 3 whistles.
- Once the pressure releases, open the lid and add ‘sajuk tup’ or clarified butter.
- Mix gently and serve hot with dal fry.
- For dal fry recipe, click here.