Makes 36 idlis
- 3 cups rice
- 1 cup urad dal (split black lentils)
- ½ cup of poha / beaten rice
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi)
- Salt to taste
- Little oil for greasing the idli moulds
Watch how to make idli on YouTube;
Idli recipe with step-wise pictures
- Wash rice and urad dal and drain the water.
- Soak them in enough water overnight along with fenugreek seeds.
- The next day, drain the water form soaked rice and urad dal.
- Soak ½ cup of poha / beaten rice for 10-15 minutes.
- First blend the urad dal and fenugreek seeds together in a mixer till smooth.
- Also blend the rice and poha by adding water little by little as required.
- Combine the urad dal paste and rice and poha paste together in a big vessel.
- Cover and keep it a dark place to ferment overnight.
- Once the batter is fermented add salt to the batter.
- Mix well.
- Grease the idli moulds with little bit of oil.
- Put ladlefuls of the batter into greased idli moulds and place them in a prepared idli steamer.
- Steam the idlis for 15-20 minutes.
- If knife inserted in the center of idli comes out clean, then idli is done.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make rest of the idlis.
- Serve hot with sambar and coconut chutney.