Serves – 3
- Hirva vatana / Fresh Green peas – 500 grams
- Potato – 1 (cut into medium sized cubes)
- Onion – 1 (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 1 (finely chopped)
- Cloves of garlic – 5-6 (minced)
- Ginger – 1 inch piece (minced)
- Roasted dry grated coconut – 1 tbsp
- Kanda lasoon chutney – 2 tbsp (If not available, add 1 tsp of red chilli powder, 1 tsp of coriander powder and ½ tsp of garam masala)
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Lemon juice – ½ tbsp
- Oil – 1 and ½ tbsp
- Salt to taste
How to make Green Peas and Potato Curry?
- In heated oil, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and allow them to splutter.
- Add onion and sauté till translucent. Add turmeric powder and salt to taste. Adding salt at this point will fasten the process of cooking the onion.
- Then add minced ginger and garlic and sauté till raw smell from them goes away.
- Then add kanda lasun masala and tomato. Cook until tomato turns tender and oil starts to leave from masala. It may take couple of minutes.
- Add potato and ½ cup of water. Mix well and cook covered until potatoes are ¾ done.
- Now add green peas, and roasted coconut. If you prefer thin curry, add more water. I like gravy kind of consistency; hence I didn’t add extra water.
- Mix well and cook covered for 3-4 minutes until peas are cooked completely. It may take 4-5 minutes. Keep stirring in between.
- Switch off the heat and add some lemon juice and curry is ready to serve.
- Serve hot with ‘phulka’ or ‘ghadichi poli’ and plain rice. Enjoy and have a great weekend!