‘Gavhachi kheer’ is a kheer made from cracked wheat. In our family, this kheer is prepared most often than any other kind of kheer. Since we love this kheer, we generally make this kheer on many festivals and auspicious occasions as an offering to god. After puja (prayers) we distribute this kheer as prasad among all family members and neighbour home. Whenever my mom makes this kheer, she cooks plain rice and bharali vangi (stuffed eggplant masala) along with it. While serving she adds some hot milk in a kheer and top it with dollop of sajuk tup or clarified butter. This kheer along with rice and bharali vangi makes the mouth watering platter.
Serves – 6
- Whole wheat – 2 and ½ cups
- Rice – ½ cup
- Jaggery – 2 and ½ cups
- Fresh shredded coconut – 1 cup
- Some cashew nuts
- Soonth (dried ginger powder) – 1 and ½ tbsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Milk – ½ litre
- Sajuk tup / Homemade clarified butter – 2 tbsp and more while serving
- Sliced almonds for garnishing (Optional)
How to make gavachi kheer / Cracked wheat kheer?
- Wash wheat thoroughly under cold running water and soak in a enough water for about ½ hour.
- Drain out all the water and dry them by spreading onto a cotton towel.
- Then just crack them into little pieces using grinder. Make sure you don’t grind it much. See the texture in the picture and grind accordingly.
- Transfer cracked wheat and rice in a pressure cooker. Add little salt and around 6 cups of water. Put on the lid and cook until 3-4 whistles.
- Once the pressure goes away, open the lid and switch on the heat to medium.
- Add in jiggery, soonth, cashew nuts and fresh shredded coconut.
- Mix everything together and cook until jiggery gets melted and kheer comes to boil. Keep stirring in between.
- At this point mixture will be very thick. Add milk and bring it to boil. Keep stirring.
- Finally add sajuk tup and allow kheer to simmer on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Now the kheer is ready.
- Take into serving bowl, add hot milk and mix well. Top it with some sliced almonds and dollop of ghee. Enjoy this gavahi kheer hot.