Serves – 4-5
- Tuvar dal / Toor dal – 1 and ½ cups
- Onion – 1 (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 1 (finely chopped)
- Cloves of garlic – 5-6 (coarsely ground)
- Dried red chillies – 5-6
- Some fresh coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 3 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Asafoetida – ¼ tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Few curry leaves
- Jaggery – 1 tsp
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Salt to taste
Watch how to make Dal Fry on YouTube;
Dal Fry recipe with step-wise pictures
- In a washed dal, add around 3 cups of water, turmeric powder and asafoetida.
- Pressure cook until 3-4 whistles.
- Add more water in the cooked dal.
- In a kadai, heat oil.
- Once oil is heated, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- Add onion and tomato and fry for couple of minutes until onion turns translucent.
- Then add garlic and red chillies.
- Fry for couple of minutes.
- Add coriander powder and red chilli powder.
- Tilt the kadai, so that lower edge of the kadai exposes to the heat.
- Add ladleful of dal and allow it to burn with flame. This way dal gets nice burnt flavor. Please see the video for more details.
- Repeat with 2-3 ladlefuls of dal.
- Add salt to taste and a tsp of jaggery.
- Add remaining dal along with water and adjust the consistency.
- Bring it to boil and then reduce the heat.
- Once it comes to boil, add fresh coriander leaves and simmer dal for next 15-20 minutes.
- Serve hot with jeera rice.
- For Jeer Rice recipe, click here