- Bhindi / lady finger– ½ kg
- Some raw peanuts
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- Pinch of asafoetida or hing
- 5-6 cloves of garlic
- Some curry leaves
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Amchoor powder – ¾ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- 1 tsp full of goda masala
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
Watch how to make bhendi chi bhaji on YouTube;
Bhendi chi bhaji recipe with step-wise pictures
- First rinse the bhindi well.
- Dry each bhindi with paper towel or kitchen napkin.
- Discard the base and stalk and chop them into 1 or 2 inch pieces.
- Also chop 1 medium sized onion.
- First dry roast peanuts until slight brown.
- In a wide pan, heat 1 and ½ tbsp of oil. Once heated add chopped bhindi and fry until it is almost cooked. Frying the bhindi in oil removes the stickiness.
- Till the time make roasted peanuts powder and grind garlic coarsely.
- Once the bhindi turns soft and some of the pieces turn little brown on the edges then bhindi is cooked. It should not be crunchy and sticky.
- Take out in a dish.
- In the same pan heat 2 tsp of oil. Once heated add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, pinch of asafoetida, garlic and fry till raw smell from garlic disappears.
- Add onion and fry till translucent.
- Then add turmeric powder.
- Add bhindi and mix well.
- Add all dry spices and salt to taste.
- Mix it really well and cook for couple of minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Finally add roasted peanuts powder and mix well. Cook for couple of minutes and switch off the heat.
- Garnish with some fresh coriander leaves and serve it hot with phulka or chapati.
- Fry the bhindi first in enough oil so that it won’t be sticky.
- Do not cover the pan while cooking because moisture makes bhindi mushy.