‘Bhel’ is my absolute favourite street food. We make bhel often at home. Here is our simple version with just few ingredients. We always use ‘bhadang’ or puffed rice chivda in this preparation. Along with bhadang, we also use ‘farsan mix’ or sweet & spicy savoury mix. Bhel tastes simply awesome if you use bhadang instead of using plain puffed rice.
There are many ways to prepare bhel and it depends on your liking. You can also add boiled potatoes, papdi, sprouts, roasted peanuts and some fresh mint chutney in your bhel. If you have bhadang and farsan mix available in your pantry, it would hardly take 5 minutes to get the bhel ready.
Serves – 3
- Bhadang / Spicy Puffed Rice Chivda (click here for the recipe-Bhadang Recipe)– 3 cups
- Farsan mix (sweet and spicy savory mix) – 1 cup
- Nylon sev – ¾ cup
- Tomato – ½ (finely chopped)
- Onion – 1 (finely chopped)
- Some cilantro (finely chopped)
- Tamarind pulp – ¾ cup
- Jaggery – 2 tbsp
How to make bhel?
- First extract the tamarind pulp and dissolve jiggery in it. Now your sweet and tangy chutney is ready.
- Mix ‘bhadang’ and ‘farsan mix’ together.
- Pour in some sweet and tangy tamarind chutney. Mix well and take into serving plate.
- Top it with some chopped onion, tomato, cilantro and lots of sev. Now bhel is ready to serve.