Serves – 2-3
- Bhindi / Okra – 400gm
- Oil – 1 and 1/2 tbsp for frying the okra and ½ tbsp for tempering
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Few curry leaves
- Asafoetida – ¼ tsp
- Raw peanuts – ¼ cup
- Desiccated coconut – 2 tbsp
- Sesame seeds – 1 tbsp
- Jaggery – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Dry mango powder / Amchoor powder – 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1tsp
- Salt to taste
How to make bharli bhendi or stuffed okra?
- Wash the okras well and wipe them with paper towel.
- Then slit each of them vertically without cutting into halves.
- Dry roast peanuts on a low heat until light brown.
- Then add coconut and sesame seeds and roast until coconut changes it’s color to light brown.
- Put into a mortar and pestle and grind it to a coarse powder.
- Take it out in a bowl and add remaining ingredients mentioned under ‘For Stuffing’.
- Mix it well and stuffing is ready.
- Stuff each bhindi well and arrange them on a cutting board.
- Heat oil in a wide pan and place all okra one by one.
- Fry them from one side until brown and crispy. It may take 4-5 minutes.
- Flip each of okra and fry from other side too. Keep turning them until they are fried from all the sides. It may take another 4-5 minutes.
- Once all the okras are nicely fried, gather them to the one side of pan.
- Put 1-2 tsp of oil in other side of pan. Once oil is heated, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida, and curry leaves. If you like you can add garlic as well.
- Fry for few seconds and mix with okra.
- Serve hot with phulka, dal and rice.