‘Bhadang’ is a spicy chivda made from puffed rice and it is my all time favourite snack. We call puffed rice ‘churmure’. In east region of Maharashtra, they call it ‘Murmure’. I have also heard some of my friends calling it ‘kurmure’.
I belong to west region of Maharashtra where ‘bhadang’ is very popular. My mom always uses ‘Kolhapuri kanda lasun chutney’ instead of green chillies. Some people make use of green chillies only. But believe me if you make it using this chutney, you will get addicted to it. It gives really amazing taste and colour too.We always make it in a big batch and store in an air tight container. You can use this for making ‘bhel’. It tastes awesome too.
- Puffed rice – ½ kg
- Raw peanuts – ¾ cup
- Kolhapuri Kanda lasun chutney – 1 cup (it looks quite a lot but don’t worry, It is much milder than regular red chilli powder)
- Turmeric powder – ¾ tbsp
- Asafoetida – ¼ tsp
- Garlic – ½ cup (thinly sliced or you can grind them coarsely in a mortar and pestle)
- Lots of curry leaves – around 8-9 strands
- Powdered sugar – 1 cup
- Salt to taste (‘Kanda lasun chutney’ already contains substantial amount of salt, hence add very little salt)
- Oil – 1 and ½ cup
How to make ‘Bhadang’ or spicy puffed rice?
- First warm up oil in a heavy bottomed big vessel. Add raw peanuts and curry leaves. Fry until peanuts get slight brown colour.
- Then add garlic and sauté for few seconds until raw smell from garlic goes away.
- Then reduce the heat to low and add turmeric powder, asafoetida, ‘kanda lasun chutney’ and salt to taste. Mix well and make sure it won’t burn.
- Now start adding little puffed rice at a time and keep mixing. Let them roast nicely until they turn crispy.
- Keep mixing continuously to avoid burning at bottom. It may take 10-15 minutes in total.
- Switch off the heat and add powdered sugar. Mix well and your ‘bhadang’ is ready.
- Once it cools down, it turns crispier. Store it in an air tight container.
- Serve as an evening snack with a cup of hot ginger tea.
Do try this recipe at home and don’t forget to write me your feedback in comment box below. You can also watch video tutorial on YouTube. Thank you for stopping by, see you soon with next recipe!