Batata (Potato) Poha is the most popular breakfast in Maharashtra and It’s my absolute favorite. Being Maharashtrian, I have grown up eating poha and I can eat it almost every day. 😉
Today I am sharing my mom’s recipe which is quick and easy too. My mom has magic in her hands. Whatever she makes, that tastes amazingly delicious even if it is any simple recipe with no special ingredients. My mom has long list of different poha recipes like gul poha (sweet version of poha made with jaggery), dadape pohe (dadape means giving pressure, this poha is non-cooked and made using thin variety of poha and coconut milk), Peas poha, Vegetable poha, Kanda batata poha and so on. I will be posting all these recipes soon. So, stay tuned!
This recipe serves 3-4 people.
- Poha / Beaten Rice – 2 and ½ cup
- Potatoes (small sized) – 2
- Green chillies – 4-5
- Curry leaves – 2-3 strands
- Some Raw peanuts (I actually forgot to add)
- Sugar – 1 and ½ tbsp
- Lemon juice – ½ tbsp
- Pinch of asafoetida
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Some chopped cilantro (finely chopped)
How to make Batata Poha?
- Add poha in colander and wash under cold running water. Drain all the water and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into small pieces, so that they will cook fast.
- Grind the green chillies coarsely.
- Now heat 3 tbsp of oil in kadai. First add in mustard seeds, cumin seeds and allow them to splutter nicely.
- Then add ground green chilies, curry leaves, cut potatoes, pinch of asafoetida, turmeric powder and salt to taste.
- Cook on medium heat until potatoes are fully cooked. They will get slight brown colour after frying. It may take around 4-5 minutes. Keep stirring in between.
- Now add soaked poha and mix well. Cover the kadai and let it cook on low heat for 5 minutes. Keep mixing in between to avoid burning at bottom.
- Finally add lemon juice and sugar. Mix well and cook covered for a minute.
- Garnish with some fresh cilantro and sev. Enjoy this delicious poha with a cup of hot ginger tea.
Try this recipe at home and let me know how you liked it.